I’ve heard a lot about aluminum in antiperspirants causing Alzheimer’s but didn’t know about paraben in deodorant until now. I started using a natural deodorant found at health food store, “Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal” and developed a weird rash – which prompted me to do more research. What I found was alarming! There may also be a link between deodorant and breast cancer! I don’t want to stink, but I don’t want breast cancer either!
Here’s what I found:
Paraben, a chemical preservative used in many deodorants and cosmetics, has been found in 100% of breast tumors in a study at Reading University 1. This may be significant as paraben can mimic estrogen, and estrogen can drive the growth of human breast tumors 2. The research is not completed, they have only found paraben in the tumors, but that are not yet able to determine if the paraben in any way cause the tumor, which is important to know.
In a separate study conducted at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center Clinical Breast Care Project (CBCP for short), officials have discovered that tumors are more common in certain areas of women’s breasts, the upper outer quadrant of the breast, where we commonly apply deodorant or antiperspirant 3. Yikes!
After the UK study was published, the two groups of researchers decided to collaborate and pursue a possible connection between paraben and breast cancer.
No direct recommendations have been made. I would recommend that you discontinue the use of deodorant containing Paraben and Aluminum. At my conventional grocery store (not health food store), I found several brands, but only purchased two:
JASON Pure, Natural & Organic Deodorant Stick for Women (they also have one for men)
Adidas 24hr Control Absorbent-Deo Wetness Control for Women
Raise your hand if your Sure – sure that you don’t want to take unnecessary risks with your health!
3 comments:
Hey Ash!
I'm so with you here! I switched to Tom's of Maine Natural Deodorant stick. There's no paraben (which, I was unaware of the potential risk) or aluminum. I have to say, though... it's great for day to day stuff...but when it comes to actually sweating (like for rehearsals or class) it leaves me a bit "ripe". I switch to my Dove carcinogenic antipersperant for those times! I should look into the Adidas one...
by the way... the blog is looking GREAT!
love,
Melissa
ps/ speaking of Tom's of Maine... have you tried their toothpaste? I'll never use another brand again! I love it!
Awesome sharing Ash. I love that you backed it up with some good solid research. I stopped using regular deodorant about 3 years ago and my husband for 2 years. Firstly, anti-persp. is just so not common sense. God made us to sweat to be able to let the toxin's out...anti-persp. just keeps them in which overloads all the lymph-nodes that are right there in that area...often causing breast cancer. Parabens are all over the place...not just deo. Check your shower gel and lotions too! :) they usually say methyl- or some other header before the world paraben. We like Burt's bee's herbal deodorant and crazy...we share it. yep. I'm not sure if we stink or not...would you let me know? LOL
I have become aware about parabens in other items and have (for the most part) completely eliminated them from my beauty regimine. Some great natural alternatives are out there, it just takes a little effort to find them.
Post a Comment