Silas has really impressed us in his role as a big brother... We weren't sure we would have such a smooth transition. I've recently starting using the term "high needs child" when referring to Silas - it seems like there are fewer negative connotations to that over "strong willed child".
Silas is a GREAT kid, and I wouldn't trade him for the world. We have learned that we have to be extremely intentional with him and that the smallest things are hard for him to overcome. What works for some parents hasn't worked for us and so we have learned to adjust our tactics - which some people interpret as "walking on egg shells" around him or catering to him. Well, he's our son and we're doing the best we can.
Anyway, we weren't sure what it would be like for him to have to share mom and dad, especially mom. Would he be jealous? Impatient? Would he ask us to take the baby back to the hospital? All of these thoughts ran through our heads and became part of our prayers as we prepared for the birth of number 2.
Thankfully, it has been such an easy transition that we are silently holding our breath still. Silas is a FANTASTIC big brother. He hasn't shown any signs of jealousy and really seems to enjoy the cute little baby that belongs to our family. And I think the ownership aspect has been key. Whenever I'm busy with Josiah and can't get to Silas right away, I tell him that I'm helping "his brother" at the moment, but will be with him as soon as I'm finished. And one of Silas' newest nicknames is "Big Brother" (other nicknames include Vern, Bubba, Siley, and Chief).
And Silas has become much more affectionate since we've brought Josiah home. I used to go days without unsolicited affection, but now we get lots of hugs, kisses and "I love you's". I said all along that Silas really needed a sibling and apparently, I was right. Seeing this loving little boy emerge is very gratifying.
I am so blessed to have two wonderful boys, and I am even more thankful that the expansion of our family is off to a great start.
No comments:
Post a Comment