Friday, September 18, 2009

Lambs Book of Life

Tonight Silas wanted to read his Bible. He said he was forgetting the story of the people who ate the fruit in the garden. We have the best children's Bible, My First Message, with great illustrations and shortened stories that aren't watered down. For a long while, it was his favorite book to read before bed. Since he is no longer in Christian school, he isn't hearing Bible stories in the classroom anymore, so I was more than happy to oblige.

Daddy read first, and then it was my turn. He requested the story of the first passover because he wanted to hear about the Hebrews killing the lambs and putting the blood on their doors. I like that the stories are attractive and slightly frightening to him. Isn't that how we ought to see God - attractive and slightly frightening. The Bible says we should have a fear of God, that we ought to be concerned what he would think about our thoughts and actions, that we ought to live holy lives in reverence to Him. But I digress...

So after reading the story of the first Passover, I decided to talk to him about how Jesus is our Passover Lamb. We talked about Jesus' Last Supper, which was also a Passover meal and how Jesus taught his disciples to observe a new tradition, taking Communion. I read a bit of the story and when I got to the part where Jesus held the cup and said, "this is my blood, drink it," Silas wanted to know if it was really his blood. No, but it represents the blood that he gave for our sins. We talked about the crucifixion, reserrection and ascension. We talked about how Jesus is in heaven now. We flipped to the end of his Bible, looking for a picture of Heaven and found the passage from Revelations about streets of gold with the River of Life flowing down the middle and the Tree of Life growing on either side.

Then we came to the part of the Lamb's Book of Life. I reminded him who the Lamb was (Jesus), then I told him that my name was written in it. "Really? It says "Ashleigh?" Yes, it does. And other people we know and love have their names written there too, like Daddy. "I want my name there too." So I explained that it would mean he would have to ask Jesus to forgive him for his sins and ask Him to be in charge of his life. He said he wanted that, so I had him pray after me:
"Dear Jesus, we love you. Thank you for giving us everything we need. Please forgive me for all my sins. Wash them away. Cover me with your blood. Help me to obey you. Write my name in the Lamb's Book of Life. In the name of Jesus we pray, Amen."


"And so it's written there now?" he asked. Yes. "It's a short name. Only five letters." That's right. Only five sweet letters.

I wonder if I did the right thing. I don't think I'll bring it up again. I want him to have a real relationship with Jesus. Not a false one for the wrong reasons. When Steve asked him about it, he said he wanted his name written there like mommy. I want to strike a balance between "training him up in the way he should go" and trusting the Holy Spirit to work in his heart. I know for me it was always easy to follow God and listen to his voice, but I know many who struggle. I want so badly for it to be a simple thing for my boys, for them to want to follow Jesus and to walk in his ways. But I am too much of a realist to expect that. God is teaching me to trust in Him to draw the boys to Him, and so I walk in faith and contribute whenever I can, like tonight.

No comments: