Silas wants to be a hockey player when he grows up. We're not sure why. He's never seen a hockey game and knows nothing about the sport, but he decided that he wanted to be a hockey player. At preschool graduation last year, the students were asked what they wanted to be when they grow up, and I think one of his classmates gave him the idea.
When asked what he likes about hockey, he says that he likes the puck." What about the puck?" "I just like it."
Okay.
So I decided that over his Christmas break, I would take him ice skating.
He hated it.
It took an extreme amount of conjoling to get him to go around a total of three times in one hour. I parked him on the team bench a few times and made a few laps myself, hoping to give him a chance to study what others were doing so he could get it.
It didn't help. He was so distracted by everyone else that he just kept falling. He must have fallen over a hundred times. It was ridiculous.
So after we had our snack and loaded up in the car, I pointed out that he wasn't going to make much money as a hockey player if he couldn't ice skate. So now he wants to be a soccer player because he's "good at soccer".
2 comments:
So funny... RIGHT after I read this, I went into the LR and Jack asked me when we can go ice skating! Seriously! He's never been either. We'll see if he likes it!
Aw, poor Silas, and poor Mom! I can imagine your frustration with the situation.
So, he HAS played soccer before, hasn't he....?
Bailey has talked about ice skating for several years now, and she had her first chance over Christmas break, too! She was only happy when she was between me and Dion, holding our hands. When she got comfortable skating like that, she began holding one leg out behind her, declaring, "Wow! I didn't know I'd be so GOOD at ice-skating!" :-)
Post a Comment