Wednesday, March 31, 2010

No more training wheels!


Silas was so excited about the plans he and his dad had made. Today they were going to take his training wheels off, he told me, and together Silas would learn to ride his bike. All afternoon, he practiced balancing without his training wheels and anxiously awaited his dad's arrival.

When Steve got home from work, he didn't even come in the house. He went straight to work getting the training wheels off. And before I could show up with my arsenal of memory making paraphenalia, Silas was riding his bike on his own, no training wheels and no dad holding onto his shaking bike. Nope. He just took off as if he's always riden his bike on two wheels.

I am so proud of the boy Silas is growing up to be. He is funny and sweet. He loves to laugh - it's probably his favorite thing ever. He is blossoming as a reader and it is just thrilling to the educator inside of me to hear him read. I find him with books all the time now, and yet he still loves to be read to - I hope that lasts for a very long time. I've been reading him different stories from the Bible that come up during my Bible study. Tonight I read him the story of Samson from Judges 13 - 16. He seems to comprehend it well enough and it's spurring some good, tough questions.

This has to be the best stage yet! What a blessing!

3 comments:

Melissa. said...

Oh Ashleigh, I'm with you. I'm just LOVING this stage with Jack. It's so thrilling to see them becoming little adults.
BUT, we haven't mastered the bike yet. A little more practice will hopefully do it.

zheng said...

Happy Birthday to Silas! I can't believe he's grown up so fast!

Keri said...

Gooooooo, Silas! (That's "go," not "goo!" :-) )

A belated happy birthday to your little/big guy!