Saturday, April 08, 2006

Not getting in the way of what the Holy Spirit is doing in YOU, the reader…

Romans 14:13-16 (The Message)
“Forget about deciding what's right for each other. Here's what you need to be concerned about: that you don't get in the way of someone else, making life more difficult than it already is. I'm convinced--Jesus convinced me!-that everything as it is in itself is holy. We, of course, by the way we treat it or talk about it, can contaminate it.

"If you confuse others by making a big issue over what they eat or don't eat, you're no longer a companion with them in love, are you? These, remember, are persons for whom Christ died. Would you risk sending them to hell over an item in their diet? Don't you dare let a piece of God-blessed food become an occasion of soul-poisoning!”

I realize that my thoughts and research are being directed by the Holy Spirit, and that I need to refrain from becoming the “food Nazi”. Don’t let what the Holy Spirit is speaking to me be a stumbling block to you. And please don’t interpret my actions as those of an immature Christian, lacking faith. God is leading me down a path designed specifically for me and my family.

So if you are reading this, you are either a close friend or someone generally interested in nutrition. Please know that I want to use wisdom to lead a life that is pleasing to God. I ask your forgiveness if something I write has offended you. Consider this my testimony. If it pricks your spirit, then ask the Holy Spirit to teach you his way that you may walk in His TRUTH; pray that he will give you an undivided heart that you may fear his name (prayer based on Psalm 86:11).

For me, to ignore this information would be akin to snake handling. There are denominations of Christians who demonstrate their faith by regularly worshiping God while holding poisonous snakes. In our affluent society at large, we are blessed to have an abundance of rich foods. On a bite by bite basis, these foods are not inherently poisonous, but taken in the quantities and frequency that we consume them, there is research to demonstrate that we ARE poisoning our bodies. The China Study is one such study.

Anyone interested in scientific support of a low animal protein diet should read this book. Researchers from Cornell University, Oxford University and the Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine found that those who ate a diet low in animal proteins did not develop the typical diseases that we, Americans, chronically face: heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. The evidence is rather convincing and so our family is investigating a more vegetarian lifestyle. So as to not offend (see above), I’ll stop my diatribe there.

I have no idea how to feed a family without centering a meal on animal protein, so this is quite a stretch for me. When it comes time to make dinner, I think, “I’ve got chicken or beef or fish on hand, therefore I can make…” One confirmation to me that this is the work of the Holy Spirit is my scientist-husband’s willingness to experiment along with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ashleigh, your heart is so beautiful. I have been trying to figure out a way to share what you have just said to many of my loved ones of whom I am concerned that they have been done an injustice by our food here in America. Please keep sharing to all your research and heart. We do have an obligation as lovers of Christ to share truth and fight injustice. Food that is poisoning us is an injustice and it hurts the poor even more than others as they have less choice in what they eat. Thanks again for sharing....you rock.