We eat mostly all organic meats and dairy to avoid hormones given to animals. I peel or diligently wash all conventional produce to remove residual pesticides. No trans fats. No high fructose corn syrup. I am careful about carbohydrates cooked about 250 degrees to limit my intake of acrylamide.
But I haven't looked much at my beauty routine, until recently. With just a little research, I've become aware of the many environmental factors that affect our reproductive system. I hope to make some changes to my own beauty routine to restore God's intended harmony.
Age management doctors are using bioidentical hormones given to patients in cream form applied to the skin to regulate hormone-loss due to aging. The face is one of the best places for absorbtion because of the many capillaries on the face, the same capillaries that cause us to blush. I have known this for about a year, but didn't make a connection to my own hormone issues before.
This week I began investigating organic body care items, lotions in particular, to evaluate the benefits over conventional products. What I found has really got me thinking.I have been using sunblock year round for several years now and a very basic moisturizer at night. I thought those were good things but now realize while these are good for the appearance of my skin they are perhaps bad for my body overall. And it seems some scientist agree.
The World Wildlife Fund has documented many instances of reproductive abnormalities increasing in nature. They attribute this rise to the many toxins that various industries release into the wild. They call these toxins "endocrine disruptors" as they interfer with the delicate balance of hormones in the body, known as the endocrine system.
I am still doing research. I wish I had a time machine as I feel like someday so many of the things we think of as "safe" will be labeled toxic. Remember Queen Elizabeth and her lead based face paint?
Some websites to explore:
Danger: What In The World Are You Putting On Your Skin
Human Exposure to Plastics
Does the dose makes the poison?
1 comment:
When I read material on these types of issues, I can never decide if what I'm feeling is the conviction of the Holy Spirit ("Pay attention, Keri, I'm talking to YOU here!") or guilt (I guess I should really look into these things and make some changes in my life, since it seems to be important to intelligent people).
Everything you say makes so much sense, and I'm always given food for thought when I read about such health-related topics, but somehow I'm never truly moved to do anything about it... I wonder what, exactly, is up with that?
Post a Comment