Thursday, January 03, 2008

A healthy perspective for the holidays


The holidays are over and life is slowly returning to normal. Almost all the Christmas decorations are put away and most of Silas's new toys have been assembled.

Everyone seems to ask, "How was your holiday?", to which I reply, "Very nice, thank you. How was yours?" But if we really were to lift the veil, I would stop and say, "It was wonderful. Truly pleasant. One of the better ones so far." Isn't that nice. That the truth is actually better than the pat answer?

Back in November, I felt my inner Scrooge coming out for his season of gloom, and I decided I wasn't going to give in this year. I realized that the gift giving on the season is what seems to get me the most. Finding the "perfect gift" for everyone who has everything. And deep down, I really don't want to. I don't want to add to the clutter of the already overstuffed. I don't want to try to impress the hard to impress.

And that's when I realized the root of my unhappiness: I was trying to impress my loved ones and be congratulated for another success. This is very different from giving someone a gift to show them how much I love them. One is focused on me, the other on them.

With a very slight shift in perspective, my holiday shopping days were no longer harried and frustrating. I still did lots of research to find good gifts, but I didn't fantasize about the moment when I would swell with pride after seeing the gift opened. Instead, I thought of my love for that person, praying for them to be blessed. It is such a small thing, but it made such a difference.

And so I would say my holiday was lovely and simple. Not that I wasn't at the mall every other day. Not that I didn't stay up late wrapping, cleaning, cooking. Believe me, I did.

Yet somehow, it still seemed simple.

And blessed.

1 comment:

Keri said...

It makes my heart smile to hear that your holidays this year were truly blessed! What a difference it must have made to shift your gift-giving perspective and take all that pressure off of yourself! (And I bet your recipients were just as pleased, anyway!)