Friday, February 22, 2008

Bad Breath...

Okay, so this isn't something I'm proud of, but I tend to have bad breath. And for as much as I tend to my oral hygiene, I really think it out to be better than it is.

The other day I was listening to Good Morning America Radio (on XM) and happened to catch Dr. Harold Katz discussing bad breath and it's causes. He mentioned sugar being a factor in feeding the sulfur producing bacteria that cause bad breath which live on the back of the tongue and in the sinuses. According to his research, mints and gum contain sweeteners and while they may mask a foul odor temporarily, they really will make matters worse by providing a buffet for the bacteria to feast on and therefore multiply. So the Altoid I had just popped in my mouth was actually doing more harm than good! Great! Now what?!?

Never fear, Dr. Katz has developed a product that will suffocate the bacteria rather than feed them: Therabreath. I went to CVS and purchased the oral rinse product immediately.


I'm not trying to be a mini-commercial for some product, but this stuff WORKS! It even eliminates morning breath! My husband is thrilled (as am I since he is using it too)!

I use only 1 capful once or twice a day, not the recommended 2 capfuls before brushing and after flossing, which in my mind will only help me go through his product faster, thus forcing me to buy it more frequently.

Dr. Katz also mentioned using products that contain essential oils like Tea Tree or Peppermint as they suffocate the bacteria rather than feed them, so I purchased a natural toothpaste at the health food store. It doesn't taste funny at all, so I'm happy to make the switch.

I am a little concerned about the safety of the Therabreath products as I am on a uber-natural quest to right all the wrong in my body, and I don't know how this will fit into the equation. But for now, I am confident that when reading to my dear preschooler, I will have sweet mommy breath and not that of a dragon!

2 comments:

Keri said...

Honestly, Ash, I have never once, in the....almost eight years that I've known you, noticed you having bad breath! Granted, you've lived away from Louisville for many years now, and I doubt it has EVER been bad enough to smell 4 hours away. :-) Neverthless, I'm glad you've found a remedy that makes your family happy!

Ashleigh said...

Thanks, Keri, that does make me feel better! I think we all doubt ourselves at times.

Anohter thing Dr. Katz said during his radio interview was how to check for bad breath: lick the back of your hand and after a few seconds, smell it. It works better than breathing into your hand or a cup or blowing hot air in a loved ones nostrils!