Saturday, April 05, 2008

I want to sell my birthday...

Silas' birthday this year was a little over produced, over stimulated, over booked and over dramatic. He was so excited that he barely slept and by mid-morning was exhausted and cranky. After several melt-downs, we actually contemplated cancelling everything in order to give him a much needed nap. We tried coaxing him into a better attitude by reminding him of all the fun we had planned, to which he responded, "I don't want it to be my birthday anymore. I want to sell my birthday."

Can you sell a birthday on Ebay, I wonder?

Acting like over-indulgent parents, we pressed on and rewarded a LOT of bad behavior with 2 parties. Yes, one at a local party house arcade, followed by a dinner party at our house for family.

Today we have worked on correcting all that went wrong. All of his presents are in Time-Out until further notice. He spent most of the day playing quietly in his room with a box of legos and some library books. And he was DELIGHTFUL. I think he just needed some strong discipline and a little less fan-fare.

Next year, we will keep it simple.

No comments: