Samuel laughed for the first time two nights ago. Josiah peed in the potty for the first time tonight. Silas had the stinkiest feet EVER today. These are things that I think I'll never forget, but I know that if I don't write them down somewhere, the memory will fade.
Life is full and so busy that I'm not taking so many moments to reflect. And yet, I'm barely able to keep the house in order, keep the family fed, and make time for relationships. The extrovert in me needs to spend time with others and share my life in person and so I tell my stories to someone (often my mom) and then the urgent need to record them fades and I just don't get around to it. I guess that's okay.
My best friend, Faith, gave me a special journal in which you record a brief sentence every day for 5 years. Even that has been hard for me to do. But I have found that Facebook updates make great entries in said journal, and so I copy them in when I have time.
Maybe I should cut myself some slack. I did just have my third child. I'm a little busy. I just don't want to forget.
1 comment:
Oh, you've written here, and now I'm the one who's behind on reading!
I think the thing I miss the most, with having 3 kids, is the time to reflect and journal and soak in the meanings of these precious days.
It really is different after the 3rd one arrives, isn't it? Do cut yourself some slack, though, because it really is about survival at this point.
The Facebook recording method is a good one. Here's another that I do that might help -- I write emails to either my parents (who love stories about my kids) or to myself (if it's something too mundane for them to care about), and then I put the emails in folders marked with each kid's name or a general "Kid Stories" folder. This works pretty well for me because I leave my computer on and available right in my family room all day, so it's a pretty quick process when there's something I don't want to forget. But if your computer isn't handy, I guess you could always use your phone to send the emails to yourself if there's something you're really afraid you'll forget....
Post a Comment